Telford Priory School is proud to have signed the School of Sanctuary pledge (below) and is working towards becoming a School of Sanctuary. We hope to be granted SoS status by the end of this year.
- We support the ‘City of Sanctuary’ vision that the UK will be a welcoming place of safety for all and proud to offer sanctuary to people fleeing violence and persecution.
- We endorse the City of Sanctuary Charter and agree to act in accordance with City of Sanctuary values and apply the network principles within our work (as far as our specific context enables us to).
- We recognise the contribution of people seeking sanctuary. Sanctuary seekers are welcomed, included, and supported within our context.
- We are willing for our organisation’s name to be added to a list of supporters of City of Sanctuary, linked to our website. We are also willing to be contacted by City of Sanctuary with further ideas for how we can turn our support into practical action and to discuss ways we might work together to promote the vision further.
School of Sanctuary
What is a School of Sanctuary?
A School of Sanctuary is a school that is committed to being a safe and welcoming place for all, especially those seeking sanctuary. It could be people whose lives were in danger in their own country, who have troubles at home or are just looking for a space of safety.
A School of Sanctuary is a school that helps its students, staff and wider community understand what it means to be seeking sanctuary and to extend a welcome to everyone as equal, valued members of the school community. It is a school that is proud to be a place of safety and inclusion for all.
At Telford Priory School, we strive to embrace the values of being a School of Sanctuary by extending a very warm welcome to all families from different diverse backgrounds, different cultures and creating a safe and inclusive environment for everyone.
Key Principles of being a School of Sanctuary:
- LEARN Schools help their students, staff and wider community learn about what it means to be seeking sanctuary and the issues surrounding forced migration.
- EMBED Schools are committed to creating a safe and inclusive culture of welcome that benefits everybody, including anyone in their community seeking sanctuary.
- SHARE Schools share their values and activities with their local communities.